Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live Streaming Video On demand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Live Streaming Video On demand Reply with quote

Hi all,

A few questions live streaming video.

I have been asked to gather some information and then possibly build a website which has live streaming music and video of jazz bands that people will pay to watch (video on demand via payment first). I have never built live streaming into a website before so I have no idea where to start (apart from asking the boffins on in this place)

1) I understand that I will need recording equipment for both video and audio.
2) A computer with broadcasting software - should it be Mac, PC or Linux? I understand that Linux may be the best bet with this, but would like advice on this.
3) A computer with Darwin Streaming server software or similar?

I think I am in the right direction with the above, but it would be great if someone could confirm this.

The next bit is with regard to the webhost.

1) I know this will take up a large amount of space and large chunks of bandwidth but how do you decide how much you will need in both cases?
2) Will it be better to have a dedicated server form the webhost or take the shared server route option?

Thanks in advance.
Sankt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can determine the bandwidth requirements by using the following formula : encoding rate X number of viewers = bandwidth required
( I would suggest adding 10 % to that for network variables. )
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Live Streaming Video On demand Reply with quote

Blame Me wrote:
2) A computer with broadcasting software - should it be Mac, PC or Linux? I understand that Linux may be the best bet with this, but would like advice on this.

You find broadcasting software for amateur and pro use for Linux, MacOS X and Windows. So, the source can be any of them. If you need stability, however, Mac or Linux is better than Windows.
Quote:

3) A computer with Darwin Streaming server software or similar?

I think I am in the right direction with the above, but it would be great if someone could confirm this.

For audio broadcasting, Icecast is, in my humble opinion, one of the best streaming servers available. When it comes to video, icecast can do the job, but is less versatile than Helix Server or Darwin Streaming.
Quote:

1) I know this will take up a large amount of space and large chunks of bandwidth but how do you decide how much you will need in both cases?
2) Will it be better to have a dedicated server form the webhost or take the shared server route option?

As already answered, bandwidth is a simple calculation.
If you need a real professional hosting/streaming solution, a dedicated streaming server is a must. If it is a simple proof of concept with a handfull listeners at a time, shared server may be an option.
Without knowing how your project will scale, I cannot help more.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality replies which have put me on the right path to sorting this problem out.

As I mentioned I've never built live streaming into a website before and just need so information and direction, which you have supplied.

Thanks a bunch Razz
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

All you need to get things up and running and to stream live video content is a camera and a microphone, a PC and an Internet connection. The most complete solution for your project is Streaming BASE, a specially designed product for live internet broadcasting, perfect for LIVE concerts. It has an integrated pay-per-view solution also.

As for the bandwidth, you will find very helpful the JAMONCAM LIVE Streaming Server Bandwidth Calculator. It will help you really understand everything regarding the number of simultaneous viewers, the Internet connection and how easy it is to have unlimited number of users watching your concerts. Also, for the server problem, if you choose the Flash Media Server you can stream unlimited streams and have unlimited users.

The harder we work the luckier we get!
Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: