Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So many tools to DL??? Im going to jsut give up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liqid Touch

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: So many tools to DL??? Im going to jsut give up Reply with quote

theres so many things i can downlaod to setup an icecast server but i dont want to load whati dont need

i also dont want to download simething i dont know how to use

How Do i even begin to setup an icecast streaming server that plays a playllist 24/7 and still allows me to kick it off so my djs can do live show.

This server setup will have to include some type of encoding so that listensers with DIALUP aND HI BAND can tune in the same way
(just with diff links of corse)
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read before posting

Official Documentation and Information

Unofficial Icecast HowTo

What do I need a source client for?

If you're wanting someone to do everything for you, I would suggest posting to the mailing list and asking for a consultant and what their rates are.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
i have been reading through the icecast howto written by Kerry Cox.
but it might be too much for me to understand completely.

Ill see about a consult

thanks
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, unfortunately, neither icecast server or ices2 client compile very easily. You will have to download and install several libraries to get things to work. Dont forget about making sure your library paths are correct in /etc/ld.so.conf and run "ldconfig" after installing the libraries

i suggest try running configure, seeing what libraries it wants, install that library, run configure again, and repeat the cycle until you get all the libraries
of course you could read the README and it will tell you what libraries you need, but if my memory serves me correctly, I had some missing/outdated libs that werent in the readme

the biggest problem i ran into was the whole video support thing (forget the name of the lib?)
check the options for "configure --help"
there are a few options that you can turn off (video support)

unfortunately it seems that the configure scripts arent as descriptive as they could be when they find missing libraries. Some of the error messages are sort of cryptic.

right now im having amazing amounts of fun trying to ./configure ices 2.0.1
i keep getting a libshout error, although i have installed libshout and libshout-devel

i thank the xiph/icecast team for bringing us an open source alternative to shoutcast!

now we just need stream transcoding built-in to the icescast server and it will be tops over shoutcast!
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't really a universal truth... it depends on your distro. I have installed icecast on several different distros, some are harder than others, but that is the same for any compiled software on linux and it's not exactly fair to imply that icecast is at fault.

As for icecast transcoding support, I doubt we're going to see it any time soon. Icecast is just built to redirect streams, no encoding/decoding going on. That is all done by the clients. This might be inconvenient for stream transcoding, which is a pain, however I think the discreet separation of jobs is one of the things that makes icecast so much better than the alternatives.

Having the transcoding done by a client does have it's own advantages though; it means transcoding can be done on a separate machine which won't be subjected to load spikes that an icecast server might receive, thus removing any of the obvious problems this would cause.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: