Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[TIP] IceS 0.4/2 Playlist Generation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: [TIP] IceS 0.4/2 Playlist Generation Reply with quote

When Ices is run in playlist mode, you are required to create a list (one file per line) of all of your files to be played.

This can be a very long and daunting task.

However, NO MORE!

This example uses the exact steps that I used to create the playlist, please be sure to adjust file paths as necessary!

I created my oggs and uploaded them into /home/icecast/music

Then, I SSH'ed into my server as the icecast server and got to a normal bash prompt.

Then, you run this command:
Code:
find /home/icecast/music |grep .ogg > playlist.txt

What this does is tells `find` to find all files in /home/icecast/music
Then, since most of us have our ices xml and playlist files in the same directory, we pipe the output (using the | character [shift+backslash]) into grep, which looks for all instances of '.ogg' (i.e. all our media files).

We now have a straight list of ogg files and nothing more, so we redirect the output into a file (using the > character) and specify the playlist file name (playlist.txt).

If you get no errors, you're golden!

Make sure the ices xml configuration file knows the proper path to access the playlist file, and start (or restart) your ices process, and tune in!
Your updates should now be made!

Additional Notes:
* Yes, it will look into subdirectories, so you tedious perfectionist organizers don't have to do anything special or different Smile.
* If you don't have SSH access, you should be able to ask the tech support rep to do it for you.
(Though if you don't have SSH access and are running an icecast server, I pity you.)
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: [TIP] IceS 0.4/2 Playlist Generation Reply with quote

Quote:

Then, you run this command:
find /home/icecast/music |grep .ogg > playlist.txt

this work too
Code:
find /path/to/audio/files -type f -name "*.mp3" -fprint playlist.txt

http://www.galwayland.com
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: this also works Reply with quote

For me this works great as it sorts the result in file name order

ls -1 /slim/jazz/MyAlbum/*.flac > playlist.txt

and to append

ls -1 /slim/classical/MyNextAlbum/*.flac >> playlist.tx

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: