Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

working great on home network - how connect from internet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: working great on home network - how connect from internet? Reply with quote

sorry if this is really obvious but I cant figure out how listeners would connect to my stream from the internet? I can connect from any network pc by typing in the 192.168.1.2/stream.ogg.m3u but how would someone connect from outside my network. Do I need something else like web server or something? Any help appreciated.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
192.168.1.2 is a privat IP to that IP can only connected Users of the Local Network
People from Outside do need the Provider IP

Remember at the most Providers your IP will on every New Login change so
maybe its a good way to install a DynClient-Service
http://www.dyndns.com/ (will nothing cost)
Greets Chris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. I understand this and I already have an ip which hasnt changed for years. My question is how would someone connect to my server from outside my network. For an example, assume the ip address for my router is 212.62.160.12 - what would people need to type into their browser to get to my icecast server?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Yes....
Greets Chris
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks Chris. I understand this and I already have an ip which hasnt changed for years. My question is how would someone connect to my server from outside my network. For an example, assume the ip address for my router is 212.62.160.12 - what would people need to type into their browser to get to my icecast server?

http://ipaddress:port/mountpoint

for example
http://galwayland.com:8081/tunes.m3u

If you still can't connect your ports could be blocked. Try port 8080 and make sure both 8080 and 8081 are forwarded correctly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I gather from this that icecast is not the correct tool for broadcasting to the internet, just broadcasting to your own LAN. Any recommendations for software that will allow me to broadcast my stream to listeners on the internet from my standard xp home machine situated in my home network.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
So I gather from this that icecast is not the correct tool for broadcasting to the internet, just broadcasting to your own LAN. Any recommendations for software that will allow me to broadcast my stream to listeners on the internet from my standard xp home machine situated in my home network.

If the problem is port blocking then no app is going to work for you, you will have to configure the firewall settings if you are intending to run any server app, XP is no different in this regard.

karl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: