Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video streaming on demand ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Video streaming on demand ? Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to set up a VOD service.

I have read several topics on different forums, and one tells to host the files on a webserver and to link to them.

But I want to protect my videos and to prevent them from downloading.

Is it possible to do video streaming on demand with shoutcast, icecast, steamcast... like the on-demand music with mp3s files stored in the shoutcast /content/ directory ?

Thanks for your help Smile
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Files contained in the webroot directory can have an authenticator applied to them. The mechanism is simplistic (no wildcards or directories for instance), just specify a <mount> with a mount name off webroot and the desired authentication settings.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also tried to stream video files, but clicking normal hyperlink in www-page has following effect (in my tests):
1. browser asks to save the video before showing it or
2. video download starts and the whole video is downloaded before showing it.

I have been more lucky with specifying m3u file that www link points to. At least in windows it's media player starts to show the video immediately. In linux I haven't been as lucky yet.

I also tried oggfwd that pushes video to icecast and it behaved approximately the same as m3u case. I modified the source for oggfwd to accept file names as command line parameter so I could propably make a 'startup' script that would give clicked video file name as parameter to oggfwd that would push it to icecast. However I'm not convinced if this approach is any better.

Tapsa
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you push content with the source client to say /mountpoint.ogg but link to the stream as /mountpoint.ogg.m3u. The browser downloads the m3u playlist and kicks off a player with the correct url

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic things seem to be a bit fuzzy to me so bare with me.

I have understood that icecast 'plays' the content of a static file (or source pushed content) to a certain mountpoint in such a way that a client (player) connected to this mountpoint can playback the 'streamed piece of content' immediately in the other end. Is this correct?

If this immediate playback is an ability of a player only (player knows how to start the playback without first downloading the whole file) then for what do we need icecast then? Wouldn't we have the same solution by only providing a link to some file in some ftp server?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: