Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Configurable headers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdborght

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Configurable headers Reply with quote

Would it be possible to add configurable headers to the stream?
(Something like Apache mod_header does)

Ofcourse I can hack the source (and I will Cool ) to create a one-time solution, but I'd like to see this part of the main branch so it becomes a more configurable solution useable for everyone.

Ofcourse you're now thinking: What the hell does this guy want?

Let me explain:
We're trying to play IceCast streams in Flash.
If you look around, you'll find other people have tried the same and got mixed results. In short, it works everywhere except in Internet Explorer.
Difficult to say if this is intentionally disabled by Macromedia or not, but that's the way it is.

However:
Inspection of HTML headers sent when playing an MP3 and an IceCast stream show some differences (obviously) and caused me to do some reasearch which shows that by tweaking the headers and using some flash code that intelligently handles the stream, you can do it.

Currently I've got a PHP page "proxying" the icecast stream and adding some headers on the way, but that causes an extra header to be added and the IceCast headers don't get interpreted correctly -- result is the bleeps & pops reported by users behind a corporate proxy that eats the headers _and_ quite some CPU consumption on the server that I can do without.

So -- the ideal solution is to tweak IceCast so it can be configured to send some extra header info and fool the Flash player.

If we can get this sorted out, I can publish a full howto and away we go to offer IceCast streaming to be embedded into any website.

TAATU - Create the World
www.taatu.com
christocracy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: How'd you make out with that? Reply with quote

hey there. I'm interested in how you made out with that. I'm scratching my head trying to get embedded streaming to work for Win/MAC, FF/IE.

embedded mediaplayer with firefox plugin works great for me but not MAC, it seems.
vdborght

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Configurable Headers Reply with quote

Hi,

So far I didn't get any reply from the Icecast team and haven't had the time to hack it in myself.

We're currently using FlashCOM for streaming, but since we're growing we soon need to look at using something else then FlashCOM because of cost.

I'll keep this list up to date as we go.

TAATU - Create the World
www.taatu.com
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place to modify the headers is in the format.c format_*c files, but without knowing the specifics I can only guess.

karl.
vdborght

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Configurable Headers Reply with quote

Cool, I'll have a look there of the next weeks.

TAATU - Create the World
www.taatu.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: and the verdict is? Reply with quote

So did this work out?
Thierry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: icecast 1.3 Reply with quote

Hello
Does anybody know of an icecast 1.3 streaming service ? Thanks
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: icecast 1.3 Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:
Hello
Does anybody know of an icecast 1.3 streaming service ? Thanks

for the love of god, why?!?!
vdborght

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Success !!! Reply with quote

Well, we finally found the time to hack it in and then when examining the code it looks like someone already added something into the main source tree, but -- for some reason -- put a content-length that is too high.

A quick cookbook for all of you out there:

On Icecast side
- Get the source for Icecast 2.3.1
- Edit format_mp3.c
- Search for "Content-Length"
(You'll see on the source comment that the code that's there is already
meant to handle the flash client)
- Replace the content-length that's there (3xxxx) by 200000000 (two-hundred million)
- Recompile
- Run!!!

On the flash side

Just open a sound object like you would any MP3 from a server.
Below is a small actionscript example. Paste this in your flash on frame 0.

----------------------------------------------
var globalsound = new Sound();
globalsound.loadSound("<PUT YOUR ICECAST URL HERE -- eg. http://mysite:8080/stream>",true);
globalsound.start(true);
stop();
----------------------------------------------
(Download an example flash file from http://www.taatu.com/download/PVA/pvplayer.fla)

Small word of caution

Because of this hack, the flash player will actually consider an icecast stream as a "regular" MP3 file -- this means it will play up to the specified length and then stop.
We've done a small calculation that learns that at 128Kbit, you should get about 1h45 of music out of a stream before it stops.
Ofcourse, it's a small job of writing a check to see that the music stops and reload it.

TAATU - Create the World
www.taatu.com
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Peter,
thanks ever so much for posting these details, I've been pulling my hair out over the exact same issue. I knew it was possible but didn't know how.

I've asked my client to make the mods to their Icecast server. I was wondering if you could do me a favour and let me test a stream from your server in the meantime? It would allow me to show the client that it can be done.
Also would you be able for a couple of hours hired work in case the client needs help?

Feel free to email me privately if you don't want to share the server address:
stefan AT flashcomguru DOT com

It would help me tremendously.

Thanks

Stefan
vdborght

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Getting current song Reply with quote

In addition to my post above, we also had the issue of getting to know what song is playing. Some music players can show this because they read shoutcast data in the stream, but Flash doesn't allow to do this and unfortunately the ezStream we're using doesn't send ID3 data which is compatible with Flash... so we needed something else.

After inspecting the status.xsl, I got the idea to change that to output XML and read the XML from Flash.

If you put the code below in a file and put that in your icecast "web" directory, it'll output an XML with all streams and the song that's playing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">

<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes"/>

<xsl:template match="/icestats">
<root>
<xsl:for-each select="source">
<xsl:variable name="nameVal" select="./@mount"/>
<xsl:variable name="authorVal" select="./artist"/>
<xsl:variable name="titleVal" select="./title"/>

<stream>
<name>
<xsl:value-of select="$nameVal"/>
</name>
<author>
<xsl:value-of select="$authorVal"/>
</author>
<title>
<xsl:value-of select="$titleVal"/>
</title>
</stream>
</xsl:for-each>

</root>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: A big thanks to Mahesh for helping me out with the XSL Very Happy

Note to the IceCast developers
:
A document describing the format of the XML data that IceCast combines with the XSL and the possibility to see the "raw XML" (without XSL applied) would be great! Wink

TAATU - Create the World
www.taatu.com
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Peter, did you see my post above?

thx

Stefan
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Hiya... Reply with quote

One think you could do is pull the song title from the web page direct.

but still you may have a little sync problems
vdborght

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Abitar,

Actually, I'm doing exactly that.
But instead of fooling around and trying to parse HTML, I added my own XSL so the output is no longer the standard HTML "status.xsl" page, but an XML which is easily machine-readeable.

TAATU - Create the World
www.taatu.com
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Nice Post! Reply with quote

Now i got it to work in IE,
but no sound in opera at all Sad

Maybe someone knows the Content-length-maximum of opera?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: