Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: More newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi

Have installed oddcast V3 standalone and Icecast 2.20 and have configured it a bit and now it works great, i can stream and everything is great but there are a few questions.

1. Can i limit the number of listeners (Alternatively can i password protect the stream so i need a PW to listen or maybe one can do a positive list with the IP adresses that can have acces ?) ..

2. What is the address to listen directly ? Right now i have found out that if i enter something in YP settings of oddcast i can find the stream on dir.xiph.org but that one gives me a string with a PID that changes every time i disconnect. My question is if it is possible to just write "http://my_server_ip_adress/ XXX" and get it directly ? This would be prefereable as i dont intend to publish in the YP because the streaming is just for me for the moment..(As it is now i have 26 listeners and i really dont want that Smile )..

Mightyme
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. max-listeners is a simple limit that can limit the number of listeners, or listener authentication can be done (look at the listener auth section of the documentation). For limiting by IP, you'll need to use the url auth in 2.3 rc2 and filter based on listener connection details.

2. The direct url is made up of the <hostname> (in the XML), a port you listen on (there may be several) and the mountpoint that is supplied by the source client, ie http://<hostname>:<port><mountpoint>. For the m3u playlist, just add .m3u.

check http://host:port/status.xsl

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks a bunch for the pointer towards the auth, now i have it locked down so that i need to enter password to listen..

New question..

If the stream i wanna do is a walkie with speach only, how low can i go in samplerate without getting degredation ?

At first i used the default of 44100 and stereo, this used up about 7 Kbytes of bandwidth, then i lowered it to 22050 and mono but this only dropped the datarate to between 4 and 5 Kbytes ..

Would like to lower it as much as possible to make the load as light as possible.

Oh yeah and another question.

The icecast2 server can be minimized to system tray but i cannot seem to find the same option for the oddcast V3 standalone program. Is it not possible to put it in system tray only ? Right now it has its own tab on the start line and i cannot get it to leave unless i quit the program.

Asking because it runs on a server and i dont like to have alot of running programs take up space in the start line, it is better if they are just an icon in the system tray..

PS. I am actually rather stunned over how easy it is to begin your own stream broadcast, it took me about 30 minutes to install and so on and then i was up and running..Amazing.....

MightyMe
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main factors for bitrate are samplerate, channels and codec settings. The lowest setting for vorbis (aotuv b4) currently is quality -2 which gives gives around the 35kbit mark for 44100/stereo, however the quality of the audio is not great at that level, so you may want to lower the bitrate by using mono and/or reducing samplerates. As with all lossy codecs it's a matter of what you think is good enough.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: