Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOD, cannot go forward in file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: VOD, cannot go forward in file Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I'm trying to set-up video on demand server with icecast. All set-up seems to be ok (I already use it for live stream) and I can access to my video file in the webroot but I have two problem :

First I cannot go forward or backward with the player, as I have two hours video, if internet connection fail you have to restart from beginning ? (I tried with ogg and nsv file). I have the same problem using directly apache.

Second I'd like to set-up access control to a whole directory, not per file parameters, is-it possible ?

Timothe
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: VOD, cannot go forward in file Reply with quote

Remember: IceCast is a streaming server which means it streams data, but it is not a media player. Thus, when you stream, icecast does not know about your file length, format, frame positions and all other things which allow players to go forward and backward in media.

However, ifyou really need an approach allowing listeners to go forward (not backward) in streamed media, you have to cut it in pieces (chapterize it) and put it in a playlist instead of direct streaming. Then listeners can go ti the next chapter in your list.

BTW, chapterizing can only work for on demand media, live acts will never allow this.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a acceptable solution for me,
For the other question, do you have any idea of a workaround to have access control on a full directory, not to define a mount point per file. If it is not possible, have you an idea if it would be possible for me to change a bit the code (which function/file?) to get this possible.
If fact what I would expect is to define a mount point "/video", and all call like "/video/file.ogg"are considered as part of this mount point. This would allowed me to use icecast url authentication wich I really like.

Timothe
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a playlist, might work.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not possible yet, but has been suggested as a feature request by specifying a wildcard/regex in the <mount>. Something like this could then be hooked in via the config_find_mount function

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your quick and good answer,
I'm going to try chapter with the playlist and maybe try to modify the code to get a new function. If I suceed I'll let you know how.

timothe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: