Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problem making 2.30 work as a master server for 2.20
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have something wrong if you are finding that mp3 is better than vorbis at ~128kbps. Either you are taking the 128 mp3 as what it should sound like or you have some setting in vorbis that isn't comparable. eg 128 mp3 vs quality -2 vorbis.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
Either you are taking the 128 mp3 as what it should sound like

karl.

Yes I mean the sound quality i tried a lot of vorbis and mp3. i work every day with the mp3 format in every beat rate you want and mp3 ca handle a lor more freqvencies ... that's the ideea . yes the ogg is super ok for internet streaming when is in variable beat rate ...
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to make icecast-2.3 work as a master just like it did under the
2.1-kh versions. According to the posts here, it appears that the <mount> directive is required, at a minimum listing the max-listeners. Icecast dumps core with the following <mount> directive:

<mount>
<max-listeners>1</max-listeners>
</mount>

I have dozens of feeds coming into the master. Do I really have to list
each one to make the slaves get the master list of streams from the master? Previously I didn't need any mount directives and the slaves would simply query the master for its list of feeds.

Thanks for any pointers.

Dave
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio-Ultra.com wrote:
karlH wrote:
Either you are taking the 128 mp3 as what it should sound like

karl.

Yes I mean the sound quality i tried a lot of vorbis and mp3. i work every day with the mp3 format in every beat rate you want and mp3 ca handle a lor more freqvencies ... that's the ideea . yes the ogg is super ok for internet streaming when is in variable beat rate ...

can you provide an example of where an mp3 beats vorbis ?

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36465

And read up on the subject before coming with such statements..
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Karl In most cases on streaming situation ... ogg buffers a lot more that mp3 and the time past from source to client is a lot more around 7 , 9 seconds on a 128 mp3 and a 128 ogg. On the ogg part the decoder on winamp for example offers some options like hard limiting ore AGC what i thing that's not so nice. The sound of the MP3 is more FULL of sounds, from 30 - 50 hz till 20 khz, maybe you are thinking subiectivist, but i think every alghorithm of encoding offers some thinks in plus or minus . But i still remain on the ideea that and mp3 handle the audio spectrum a lot better than the vorbis. The only format that i din't try is ACC.

Liviu
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio-Ultra.com wrote:
Yes Karl In most cases on streaming situation ... ogg buffers a lot more that mp3 and the time past from source to client is a lot more around 7 , 9 seconds on a 128 mp3 and a 128 ogg. On the ogg part the decoder on winamp for example offers some options like hard limiting ore AGC what i thing that's not so nice. The sound of the MP3 is more FULL of sounds, from 30 - 50 hz till 20 khz, maybe you are thinking subiectivist, but i think every alghorithm of encoding offers some thinks in plus or minus . But i still remain on the ideea that and mp3 handle the audio spectrum a lot better than the vorbis. The only format that i din't try is ACC.

Liviu

and I suppose mp3 64kbps is CD quality. MP3 at 128k is classed as low quality, I'd check your player because you may be using something that is destoying your vorbis playback.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nono I have winamp . No THe cd quality of mp3 si over 128 for shure Smile All my mp3 s are at 256 fo example but ... it's the same thing with ogg and mp3 at 128 just that ogg is eliminating the upper frecvency i'd say all over 12 , 13 khz is cut off by the encoder. i.ve just installed an ogg encoder on my production software and it's the same as the sam 2 ogg encoder . on a mp3 track at 256 and an ogg at 256 lenght 3:30 the file output size is the same only the sound differs but not in quality just in intepreting the audio spec. oooo and a nother thing that is ofull at ogg youuuu are geting ollld til it's encoded !

EDIT: I am asking on what are you listenig ?Becouse if you have some rusty speakers is obviously why you are not seeing the difference !
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh that must be why we don't hear it! </irony>
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you stop it now, various tests (look over at the HA posted earlier) will show you up. I don't think there is a lowpass at q4, at q0 it's 16khz IIRC. If you really have samples that show mp3 being clearer than vorbis then get onto the mailing list and point it out (I'm sure someone will reply)

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ... even if i'am rong i still thing mp3 is better Wink
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl i have a question ... in the mout tag ... why the stream name option don;t send the name in the player ... example : if my source is streming a name ... the <stream-name> option work' just for the yp and stats but not for the player ! If i have one name from sourse and the source is dropind and i have a file for falling mout the name in the player now is the "mout" like LIVE for example! How i make the stream name of the fallback mount "My radio station name - BLA BLA BLA" and not the mount name ?

Thank's I hope you'l understand Smile My english is rusty Smile
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It currently does not override the headers sent to the player, it's for the stream directory listing. The headers from the source client or relay get passed to the listener.

karl.
LordSqueak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the mp3 codec used i suppose
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: