Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plain Vanilla setup, Testing Icecast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Plain Vanilla setup, Testing Icecast Reply with quote

Right 'out of the box' setup, only things changed are the sourceclient passwords and such.

Icecast2.3.0 up and running, can run admin web pages ok. With no sourceclient running, would have thought that users could connect, but maybe not (bad choice there, programmers). Run Winamp with Oddsock as source, MP3, everything looks running okay, but still can't connect with Winamp listener on a lan machine.

Note everything worked when running Shoutcast for last x months, so all those items are known good.

I get a 404 'file not found', but the live stream the sourceclient is generating results in no errors from any of the server programs; the sourceclient connections look stable, again no errors coming from Icecast.

Also get a "error syncing to mpeg'" message on the remote Winamps.

I'm at a loss because there seems to be no way to divide out the 'parts' of the system for further testing (one part won't work at all without other parts up and running). Replaced the lame_enc.dll with an older (stable?) version, no change. Sourceclient is newest Winamp, 5.1. Players on remote machines are generally lower versions, 5.0x and such.

I tried originally to run Icecast right 'on top' of my working Shoutcast setup, but ran into major unfixable problems with that, so decided to give this methodology a try.
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're failing to understand the way icecast works, without a source client, what are users supposed to connect to?

You need to connect your source client first. Once this is done, check it is connected by looking at the icecast status page. Enter "http://serverip:8000/" into your browser and you should get the icecast status page and a list of any connected source clients. You can then click on the "listen" link to test the stream.

Alternatively you can put the stream URI into your listener client directly.

http://serverip:8000/mountpoint.mp3 (if your stream is mp3)
http://serverip:8000/mountpoint.ogg (if your stream is ogg)

(this is assuming you are using the default icecast server port of 8000)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilOverlord wrote:
I think you're failing to understand the way icecast works, without a source client, what are users supposed to connect to?

The server of course, just like any 'client-server' system, the fact that there may not be a server application running on the 'back end' should be irrelevent. But I digress, I'm too old to get into 'religious' topics.

Read my original message again (fyi I had seen your neat chart in another answer, should be put in the documentation). I'm able to bring up the server status page no problem. I don't understand where to 'listen' at, I see the 'source_client_connection' just fine, just like on the Icecast Global Statistics. (I can toggle the Oddcast 'connect' and it comes and goes perfectly). It all looks fine; don't know what 'listen' point you're talking about, I don't see anything like that on the status page.

As far as the rest, I can quote the documentation, but there are no defined 'mountpoints' in the default configuration (save the shoutcast_mount, required for the source_client); so the final suggestions are moot (tried anyway; nothing).

The worst thing I see is that, from the documentation, several different specifics are refered to by the same name, making it VERY confusing documentation wise. Nothing I try even attempts to connect, even though the client and client_connections do increment on 'some' of the tries.

Can't think of anything else; unless I start seriously mucking around with the default configuration (which I've done a little bit of, trying to get a rise out of it). The point I think I'm stuck at right now is freally the 'listen' link I cannot find on the status page, which seems to come and go at will (it's will, not mine).

Again, it seems that the sequence of starting things up is very finicky, something I noticed while trying to get the Shoutcast link up and running. If I disconnect the source_client, and toggle the Icecast server, it's a flip of the coin as to whether or not the status page will connect.

That's about it. I'd sure like to find the 'listen' link tester.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
EvilOverlord wrote:

The server of course, just like any 'client-server' system, the fact that there may not be a server application running on the 'back end' should be irrelevent. But I digress, I'm too old to get into 'religious' topics.

Hardly a religious discussion. It's the same as making a HTTP request on a page that doesn't exist. In this case Apache returns a 404. In the case of icecast, when you make a request for a stream that doesn't exist, it should do a similar thing. And as it turns out, it ALSO returns a 404.

Quote:

Read my original message again (fyi I had seen your neat chart in another answer, should be put in the documentation). I'm able to bring up the server status page no problem. I don't understand where to 'listen' at, I see the 'source_client_connection' just fine, just like on the Icecast Global Statistics. (I can toggle the Oddcast 'connect' and it comes and goes perfectly). It all looks fine; don't know what 'listen' point you're talking about, I don't see anything like that on the status page.

The listen link in the new 2.3 pages was admittedly not in a good spot. The link is anchored on an image of a play button beside each mountpoint. I have since made it more obvious, and those changes have been committed and will be available in the next release.

oddsock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no such 'play' button to be found.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always enter the url directly in your player:
http://yourip:yourport/yourmount (the trailing .m3u is optional)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, none of those works.

In spending a 2-3 days going through everything, this s/w is 'not ready' in every sense of the word. It is very 'sensitive' to the sequence of startup of the different pieces, the statistics web-based system is seriously wacked, and despite the apparent opinion of the folks (the programmers?), comparing the system to an Apache web server is not putting this system in a good light (the last Apache web server I de-commissoned for a company in SF made me about $80K to crowbar out of their system and put in something that actually worked).

Too bad, it 'looked good' from the specs and such. The development group needs a 'real good' bug/documentation person, something I did for some 10 years in the 90's. But, it's a waste of time.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me that the problem is "shit behind the wheel"... How come so many others can get it to work except you? Yeah it must be the crappy programmers fault.. right. That attitude wont get you any help here. Sorry for such an aggressive answer, but you really have some nerve.
MikeS
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Sorry folks, none of those works.

In spending a 2-3 days going through everything, this s/w is 'not ready' in every sense of the word. It is very 'sensitive' to the sequence of startup of the different pieces, the statistics web-based system is seriously wacked, and despite the apparent opinion of the folks (the programmers?), comparing the system to an Apache web server is not putting this system in a good light (the last Apache web server I de-commissoned for a company in SF made me about $80K to crowbar out of their system and put in something that actually worked).

Too bad, it 'looked good' from the specs and such. The development group needs a 'real good' bug/documentation person, something I did for some 10 years in the 90's. But, it's a waste of time.

Thanks for your opinion. We'd like to invite you to piss off. We do this for free; you're not required to like our software, but you can't expect to be a rude asshole and still get free help.

It's also not really helpful for you to say nasty things about other high-quality free software like Apache, it just makes you look even more of a fool.

Please feel free to return to the forums in the future if (and only if) you're willing to be minimally polite.

Mike
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
this s/w is 'not ready' in every sense of the word. It is very 'sensitive' to the sequence of startup of the different pieces

Hrm. The phrase "a bad workman blames his tools" comes to mind. You do realise that icecast is now at version 2.3. Icecast 1.x was very successful and even now several years after being retired people are still using it; and I don't just mean messing about with it, I mean using it running webcasts for radio stations the world over.

2.x is the next generation that has largely been very welcomed by the user-base and is further extensibile over the 1.x versions. Personally I have setup streaming for several commercial radio stations. I would not risk losing furture work on software that is "not ready". Infact it is far more ready than anything else I have come across. Icecast is a robust and should you find a serious bug, patches are turned around in a matter of hours, just take a look at some of the posts on this forum if you don't believe me. As for starting up... well all it usually cares about is the network being present, the port being free, the presence of the config file and the sanity of the config.

Icecast also has a very active, helpful and engaging developer community that will extend icecast in the directions people need.

It is jaw dropping that you claim your difficulties are somehow icecast's fault, and then throw in some random rubbish about Apache being lame. You are aware that for a long time Microsoft’s website has been transparently cached by apache servers because IIS couldn't take the load & the constant DDoS attacks?

Have you considered the possibility that you don't know as much as you think you do? Try learning how to use a tool before claiming it is inadequate for the job.

The documentation isn't perfect, but you are welcome to help us update it, if you know as much as you claim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: