Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound Cutting Out With v.2.3.0...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitWebsites

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Sound Cutting Out With v.2.3.0... Reply with quote

I just updated to 2.3.0 from 2.2.0 and now the stream keeps cutting out as though the data is not sent as a constant stream to the client. I can't explain it any better. I'm using VLC 0.8.1 on a Mac OSX lastest version. I put the 2.2.0 back on and everything is running 100% again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DigitWebsites

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I needed to put the "burst" option on for buffering - no skipping now.
DigitWebsites

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta and burst failed. Here is what I have found... if I use Icecast 2.2.0 streaming an AACPlus 32kbps stream and listen with VLC 0.8.1 - the stream works perfectly. If I use VLC 0.8.2 or greater - the stream starts skipping after about 15 minutes. If I use Icecast 2.3.0 streaming the same 32kbps AACPlus stream - ALL versions of VLC start skipping after only a few minutes.

I enabled the burst and put in the default figure - it kept all the versions of VLC playing a bit longer - but started skipping again after a while.

Any suggestions?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are only interested in the burst-size settings, don't forget that <burst-on-connect>1</burst-on-connect> implies <burst-size>65536</burst-size>.

The skipping would indicate a buffer starvation, indicating that the feed is not fast enough or that the player is playing too fast, check the vlc messages to see what it says as it has been known to trigger a change in the resampling mid-stream.

karl.
DigitWebsites

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see it resampling (upsampling and downsampling) but then you see messages stating that the audio card is starving. If you leave it and it continues - eventually you get no audio what-so-ever. Windows using WinAMP and VLC work perfectly with 2.3.0. ??? Again, with Icecast 2.2.0 and VLC 0.8.1 on MAC - no skipping - change either software and it starts skipping after about 15 minutes. I have turned burst off as that is how I had it for months and no problems. Any other tips or ideas? Could it be that Icecast isn't sending enough data or fast enough?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to think what could be a different factor WRT AAC* and the 2.2 to 2.3 changes. The part that sends the AAC stream has not changed. If the feed to icecast is correct and CPU/network is not max'd out (winamp/vlc on windoes being ok would indicate that) then is must to related to player changes.

I would make sure that a consistent data stream is being maintained to the Mac, use curl or similar to measure the average bitrate and see if it matches the expected stream rate, also try another player as well

karl.
DigitWebsites

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can find another AACPlus player for the MAC. Also, I will continue using and working with 2.3.0 - Thanks for the tip. I as well think it is the player. I'll write again if I find anything.
DigitWebsites

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used Quicktime on Mac OSX to play an MP3 stream using Icecast 2.3.0 and after about a half an hour - skipping started - same problem with VLC. Looks like this is more than a player issue.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigitWebsites wrote:
Used Quicktime on Mac OSX to play an MP3 stream using Icecast 2.3.0 and after about a half an hour - skipping started - same problem with VLC. Looks like this is more than a player issue.

continue the checking, maybe tell us more about the setup, is this icecast on the Mac or on some other platform ? what happens if you have 2 players connected, one on MAC the other on windows? Does the same thing happen with an Ogg vorbis stream?

karl.
DigitWebsites

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stream is played out through a seperate box running Jazler (windows) and the stream is encoded by Opticodec (Orban) for AACPlus (encoded on same machine). Output of the stream is sent to a Linux RedHat AS server running Icecast2. Play that stream through Windows WinAMP everything is OK. Play through VLC on Windows it plays for about 20 minutes then dies. Play it on MAC with VLC and it will die after about 10 minutes. Both systems messages stating the soundcard is starving. ??? I am trying out Shoutcast and I'm not having this issue. Is there a header problem?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel free to compare the headers sent, if there is anything like that then by all means let me know. The problem with that is that many others are already streaming in the same format so it's unlikely to be header related. Did you check the transfer rate of the stream?, is it less than expected (you may get a burst at the beginning depending on what you have configured) ?.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: