Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

streaming at lower bitrates?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: streaming at lower bitrates? Reply with quote

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this: as I understand it, ices 2.0.1 doesn't support re-encoding the input to a lower bitrate. In other words, I can't run station with two links, one for high bandwidth and one for low bandwidth. Is this true?

Second, if it is the case that this feature is unimplemented in ices, can anyone point me to where I should begin in the source if I wanted to help implement this section? I've been looking for a way to help with the development of icecast, and this might be one.

-dave
MikeS
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider yourself corrected.

IceS2 has always been able to do this, as the config file examples and the documentation show.

Mike
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this quote, from the default ices-playlist.xml config file
Code:

<!-- Live encoding/reencoding:
                Currrently, the parameters given here for encoding MUST
                match the input data for channels and sample rate. That
                restriction will be relaxed in the future.
            <encode>
                <quality>-1</quality>
                <samplerate>44100</samplerate>
                <channels>1</channels>
            </encode>

this means that ices will not resample the input? So if it was recorded at 44khz, the output stream will be broadcast at that rate. This is different from the bitrate, which is variable depending on the density of the signal and quality. Making a stream for low-bandwith connections can be done by lowering the quality or the nominal-bitrate.

If this is correct, then what are the valid settings for nominal bitrate? I tried a few at random, and the stream wouldn't start.

-dave
MikeS
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceS2 can resample your input, if you ask it to. The comment there is a bit confusing - have a look at the ices-oss.xml example for one that's hopefully a little clearer (it shows how to enable resampling and downmixing).

For low bandwidth connections, you'll probably want to resample and/or downmix as well as using a lower quality/bitrate.

Valid settings for nominal bitrate depend primarily on the sample rate and number of channels you're using. For 44.1kHz stereo, it's somewhere around about 50-500 kbps. Obviously, the upper end of that range isn't very useful.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: