Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

switching signals w/o killing the stream

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: switching signals w/o killing the stream Reply with quote

Please forgive me if this is an RTFM question, but I can't find the answer in the docs.

I want to set up my radio server to accept input from an offsite broadcaster during the day, and then switch back to a static playlist at night. My plan is to have my friend at his studio run an instance of ices which connects to my radio server at home. Then, when he's finished broadcasting, he shuts off his machine and the playlist ices starts up on one of my local servers.

Is this possible? If icecast already has a connected stream, and another comes along and tries to connect (using username "source" ), what will it do? Will it switch to the new stream, or kick the new one out?

-dave
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blast. forgot to log in.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there already is an active stream when a source connects then the new stream is rejected, it will not drop the existing source client/relay. The usual approach for something like this is to have the ices playlist always connected (but under a different mountpoint) and define a fallback (with override) from one to the other.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
If there already is an active stream when a source connects then the new stream is rejected, it will not drop the existing source client/relay. The usual approach for something like this is to have the ices playlist always connected (but under a different mountpoint) and define a fallback (with override) from one to the other.

karl.

Firstly, hi. I am quite new to all this. I got the server set up and I can broadcast no problem using winamp with the dsp. By the way, the software is awesome. It runs flawlessly.

I am looking to do the same as dombrowsky. I am sure karlh's solution will do just that, but I just do not understand the solution.

I have the icecast server running on a WinXP machine. to keep a constant feed going, I run winamp on another machine with the library on random. Works great. Sound is outstanding. Now, I'd like for someone else to be able to hop on the air, interrupt the stream and broadcast for a bit, then when he disconnects, the stream picks up again. I know I am reiterating here, but I want to be as concise as possible.

So, how does one define a fallback (with override) from one to the other?

Thanks in advance.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By using the <mount> options, you can define a <mount> relating to the stream that will connect for a bit eg /live.ogg and have that with a fallback-mount of say /fallback.ogg and fallback-override as enabled. As long as /fallback.ogg is streaming then listeners will either be on /fallback.ogg or /live.ogg

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
By using the <mount> options, you can define a <mount> relating to the stream that will connect for a bit eg /live.ogg and have that with a fallback-mount of say /fallback.ogg and fallback-override as enabled. As long as /fallback.ogg is streaming then listeners will either be on /fallback.ogg or /live.ogg

karl.

Ah, so /fallback.ogg would run 24/7. DJ's would connect to /live.ogg. When the connection to /live.ogg ended, /fallback.ogg would already be there running! So listeners do not need to restart the stream or anything, correct?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. If the fallback stream isn't running at the time the /live.ogg stream dies then those listeners are disconnected. The key thing to remember about fallback handling is that the stream format has to be similiar, not so much for icecast but the players can get confused with certain mid-stream changes.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I tried it, and there seems to be a problem. from the listener end, it's not switching streams. Maybe I did something wrong?

Here is how I set up the mount points:

<mount>

<mount-name>/live.ogg</mount-name>

<username>******</username>

<password>******</password>

<max-listeners>20</max-listeners>

<dump-file>/tmp/dump-example1.ogg</dump-file>

<burst-size>65536</burst-size>

<fallback-mount>/cellar.ogg</fallback-mount>

<fallback-override>1</fallback-override>

<hidden>1</hidden>

<no-yp>1</no-yp>

<authentication type="htpasswd">

<option name="filename" value="myauth"/>

<option name="allow_duplicate_users" value="0"/>

</authentication>

</mount>

Again, please bear with me, as I barely have a clue as to what I am doing. I tried connecting to either mount as a listener. Seperately they work fine. if I connect to /live.ogg and disconnect, it does not revert to the fallback mount. Just keeps trying and failing to connect.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you have more options than you want really in that mount but that should not prevent the fallback from working. Make sure the fallback stream is active at the time the /live.ogg terminates, check the /status.xsl (hidden will mask the /live.ogg stream) and error log to make sure nothing is failing for other reasons.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks. I will check on that now. By the way... listeners should connect to the fallback by default, and then when a DJ kicks in, they would automatically get the live.ogg mount?

edit: and everything you see there was in the default file. I only edited the mount names. Smile
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, from what I can see, everything else is fine. So I am baffled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: