Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner's Tutorial
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> F.A.Q.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

As a beginner, I have many unanswered questions. So, I propose that a topic be created where the more advanced can leave info on how to, Step by Step, set up free, open source, "source client" to Icecast software, to make an internet radio and/or TV station. Your responses to this will be greatly appreciated and usefull, and will remain here for other newbies.
Please feel free to add your thoughts, and help this topic grow.

My specific questions are based on the goal of setting up a streaming radio station that is based on royalty free original content, and software that has no licensing fees or monitary restrictions, such as Ogg Vorbis.
It seems that this software requires some experience or specific technical knowledge to set this up. It does not come as an integrated package with a GUI. I thought I saw some offered by some proprietary vendors that will encode to ogg and stream to Icecast, but they appear to keep you in their own camp so they can charge high prices with their own server.

1. Can you please suggest a list of the specific software that I will need, beginning with a good Ogg encoder, and streaming package that would not require the user to be a programmer, that would stream to Icecast.

2. Is there a step by step tutorial anywhere, describing how to set all this up for people with minimal knowledge specific to internet radio streaming?
If not, then perhaps this topic can be the beginning of one!

3. Does "Icecast.org" actually have its own server that is hosting various radio stations, or am I seeing just a list of stations that are hosted on various other servers that are setup with Icecast software? If Icecast is not offering hosting, then can you suggest some servers elsewhere that use Icecast and Ogg, and have reasonable or donation type prices?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
1. Can you please suggest a list of the specific software that I will need, beginning with a good Ogg encoder, and streaming package that would not require the user to be a programmer, that would stream to Icecast.

It depends on the platform your are using. Have a look at the list created by VxJasonxV.

Anonymous wrote:
2. Is there a step by step tutorial anywhere, describing how to set all this up for people with minimal knowledge specific to internet radio streaming?
If not, then perhaps this topic can be the beginning of one!

I don't know of any... but I'm working on a configuration tool coded in PHP, rather easy to set up... Smile

Anonymous wrote:
3. Does "Icecast.org" actually have its own server that is hosting various radio stations, or am I seeing just a list of stations that are hosted on various other servers that are setup with Icecast software? If Icecast is not offering hosting, then can you suggest some servers elsewhere that use Icecast and Ogg, and have reasonable or donation type prices?

If you're talking about http://dir.xiph.org/, it's actually what we call "YP", "yellow pages", or "stream directory": it's just a listing of streams on other servers. For stream hosters... it depends on a ton of stuff: where you are broadcasting from, where your main target (listeners) are, etc, etc, etc.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Beginner's Tutorial Reply with quote

I am in agreement with this idea. I am also in the process of setting up my own Icecast streaming server, but I have only been able to find very little information about the Win32 port of Icecast, and practically none about Oddcast (the source server). Through trial and error, I have managed to connect to my own server from a client, but I have not yet managed to stream anything. I am trying to find more details about how it works, and it's not that easy.

There should be, in this forum topic, a step-by-step guide on how to install, configure, and run the entire Win32 port of Icecast using all "free" software (Icecast, Oddcast, Winamp, etc). I am myself trying to compile some info on this, and hopefully write my own, but if someone has done this before then by all means, post this knowledge in here and share the wealth.

Couzin2000
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Beginner's Guide Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has put together a Beginner's Guide at all since these postings were made? I could do with some info. We are setting up a website for independent musicians and wanted to use Open Source software for streaming etc.

Ruth
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner's Guide Reply with quote

MonkeysWhoDream.com wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has put together a Beginner's Guide at all since these postings were made? I could do with some info. We are setting up a website for independent musicians and wanted to use Open Source software for streaming etc.

Ruth

I would have loved to help, but you're the first one replying to my post, and it's been there for awhile. So I assume that no one wants to share the wealth of info that is there... I would have personally put it together myself, but without the original info, there's not a lot I was able to do to install it myself, and I eventually gave up.

I set up an FTP server instead, and I just download the songs. Takes a long time, a lotta bandwdth, and I can't do anything about it because I'm just incapable of getting the Icecast server to work properly.

If you ever make the "beginner's manual", please, feel free to send me a copy, I would love to try it out, or help you with it!

Good Luck!
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the unofficial icecast howto so hard to understand?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilOverlord wrote:
Is the unofficial icecast howto so hard to understand?

If I were using Linux, this would probably be easy to do, and although I have some understanding of the text you linked me to, I am not a programmer, and this does not explain in laymen's terms how to do it on a Windows XP platform. The only paragraph referencing Windows is 7.3.

Plus -- I've noticed that the configuration file described in this site is extremely different than the one I have in my updated Icecast. So it makes following instructions very difficult.

So to answer your question, I have extensive knowledge in computers, yet I am not versed enough to understand this whole thing. For the less experienced, this is not really acceptable.

So I want to make this into a "beginner's" guide. Make sure that all the terms are explained, and that anyone is able to install this.

Thanks for the question though, but keep them coming!
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much difference from a configuration point of view between win32 and unix systems, paths may be different but IIRC the shipped one has references from the current directory. IPs, port numbers, mountpoints, passwords are all treated the same. If there is any difference then by all means let us know.

If you have a problem starting it then by all means post a query in the icecast forum. There are also forums over at www.oddsock.org for oddcast.

karl.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also trying to switch from shoutcast to ICECAST on an XP system.
I'm having some problems figuring out the differences between the two setups.
I'm using SAM encoder which supports icecast, and I can connect to Icecast it show that it logs in and connects..however I cannot figure out how to actually connect to the stream.
It does feel Like I'm missing something.. and I cant quite figure out what the mount point is for.. using [winamp + sam encoder + shoutcast ]there is no mount point so if I point to url www.myip.net:8000 I get a stream.. but with shout cast it keeps crashing.

So yes I think there could be some clarification on the wondows side of things..

{I have yet to find a linux version of oddsocks "song requester" that works the way I want]
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it as the mountpoint for shoutcast is always / whereas in icecast you can have whatever you want. You can of course use / as the mountpoint (it's not clear if that is what you are doing) but check that you don't have an alias of / to /status.xsl in such cases. If the listener can view the /status.xsl page in their browser then they can get the stream, but there are some quirks in some players that prevent playback working as it should, eg winamp assumes it's mp3 unless you have the codecs and the mountpoint extension to tell it otherwise, eg /live.ogg or /live.nsv

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was guest..
Now I did mange to get it to work. and found a few interesting things in how to do it. I'm home on lunch break so I'll try and come back later and make some pointers.

Here we go with a quick rundown of my setup now that I have figured it out.

Currently running
Winamp >oddcast V3 > Icecast2 [on a single system]
Using it to broadcast MP3
1.Select encoder type mp3 [you will need Lame]
2. select a bitrate and sample rate. personally I use bitrate of 96 sample rate of 44100
3.select server type icecast2
4.select server IP if needed or leave as localhost if you run icecast to on the same system.
5. select server port. 8000 is a good starting port.
6. input the password you will use for the icecast server.
7. name the mountpoint I use /listen [for us windows users.. this is not a file name! ]

That's the main setup for the oddcast.. now the next part...Ice cast
Like shoutcast it has a text file you have to edit Icecast.xml
1. make sure you get you change the passwords
2. make sure the server port is set.
3. I think you need to make sure listener port is server port +1
The rest I believe you can leave alone unless you have a specific reason to change them .

Now here is the point where I was thrown for a loop.
Under shoutcast to get a streaming client to work the link needed to be
http://www.yourip.com:8000
or http://www.yourip.com:8000/listen.pls
In ice cast we have the "mount point" this is not a filename but I have found if you make your web link into
http://www.yourip.com:8000/[mountpoint].m3u It will work.
The .m3u seems to direct the player to actually play rather than just buffer.

[It was a sticking point for me. ]
anyway If anyone has any questions or would like me to clarify a point I'll give it a shot Though I think there's still plenty more for me to learn.
VKen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: I love this thread Reply with quote

I've got to say this page helped me a lot. I'm a total newbie when it comes to scripting.

ok, now to the situation report.

I'm running windows XP. with a winamp plugin from Spacial Audio. With Ice cast 2 version 2.3

I've got my winamp running, encoder running. Got a reading from Icecast2 "source level status" that i have a mount. That means there's a server running right?

I'm bad with scripts so, i hope people can help me with degugging my ice cast config file please.

I find that i can't post the whole script here, so, i made ss and posted in on a image hoster.

below are the url for the whole config file:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/VictorKen/config1.gif
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/VictorKen/config2.gif
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/VictorKen/config3.gif
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/VictorKen/config4.gif

Ok, the question now is:

What do i do so that listener's can stream my file from my computer without aid of third party websites?
What URL should i give my listeners with regards to the mount point there? Which mount point is for my listeners? (please tell me the tag or line number)

I've put the url address as http://myipaddress:8000/ and according to some threads http://myipaddress:8000/listen.pls.

However, the directory listing is empty. I'm using firefox, with media connectivity plugin, to test out the 2 url stated above.

While using winamp to host, I ran windows media player to stream it, unsuccessfully.

With regards to the scripts, please tell me which part should be changed to what.

I know this is a little asking too much, but please, i implore your gracious helping hand Razz
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

before using a source client or player, verify that the icecast server can be contacted and responds. Thid can be done using a web browser using

http://myipaddress:8000/status.xsl

Most, at this point will start their source client which starts streaming on a certain mountpoint eg, /live or something similar. You'll see this on thr above status.xsl page after the source client connects. The click to listen link is what you can pass to listeners.

karl.
VKen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx a lot KarlH.

Although your reply is short, it hit me suddenly out of the blue that my IP is not correct. Then i did a system check an found the correct ip.
However the "click to listen" links to my mount in a very way.
path is "../mount.m3u.m3u"
This is the path showed.
Although in the config file, i only inputed "mount.m3u" as the linked image above in my earlier post.

Hmm... now the interface at the "source level stats" became empty =_=
Thats not a good sign...
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m3u is a playlist not a stream. It's very unlikely that you want an .m3u within the icecast mountpoint in the configuration of either icecast or your source client.

karl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> F.A.Q. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: