Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner's Tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> F.A.Q.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VKen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: THANK YOU VERY MUCH Reply with quote

OMGOMGOMG

I finally got it working~!

Thanks alot KarlH!

I remember someone wrote somewhere to write mount point as a ".m3u"
That's what i did... now i changed the mount point to ".mp3"
Thank you very much~!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: First time user Reply with quote

I've been reading all of your posts. Some of it has been helpful.

My Questions.

I'm using a Windows XP computer using Icecast 2 as the server and using SAM broadcaster as my encoder.

I'm at a college setting. I can connect to my stream by manually going to either Itunes or Media Player and typing in my address.
When I use IE or Mozilla, nothing happens I don't get any music from the web page.

What am I doing wrong??

steve
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilOverlord wrote:
Is the unofficial icecast howto so hard to understand?

Yes, when the links to the server download and instructions are broken.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mount Points Reply with quote

VKen wrote:
OMGOMGOMG

I finally got it working~!

Thanks alot KarlH!

I remember someone wrote somewhere to write mount point as a ".m3u"
That's what i did... now i changed the mount point to ".mp3"
Thank you very much~!

Ok, so I'm really confused. If the mount point is NOT a file and the setup stuff says to use 'example.ogg' - if I use an mp3 stream (I'm trying to set up mp3 streaming), what do I set it as? What's this stuff 'm3u' and 'mp3' ? If it's NOT a file, then what is it?

If I set it to 'm3u', what do I put IN the m3u? If it's 'mp3', WHICH mp3 do I set it to point to? Mad
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mount point is just a reference you pass to the server, how that mountpoint is translated depends on what is configued. It could be a file like in the case of a image on the status.xsl page or it could be something that the server itself handles like in the case of a stream (whose content is decided by some other application that could be remote). In the case of a stream, having a file just doesn't fit at all.

The example you show just highlight what is possible, so /example.ogg is just a possibility, but then so is /example.mp3 or /live.mp3 or any number of other names.

A quick search for m3u would show it's a playlist format and only refers to a stream which can contain mp3 data. How that mp3 data is generated is typically the task of the source client.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
A mount point is just a reference you pass to the server, how that mountpoint is translated depends on what is configued. It could be a file like in the case of a image on the status.xsl page or it could be something that the server itself handles like in the case of a stream (whose content is decided by some other application that could be remote). In the case of a stream, having a file just doesn't fit at all.

The example you show just highlight what is possible, so /example.ogg is just a possibility, but then so is /example.mp3 or /live.mp3 or any number of other names.

A quick search for m3u would show it's a playlist format and only refers to a stream which can contain mp3 data. How that mp3 data is generated is typically the task of the source client.

karl.

Karl -

Thanks for getting back to me. So, if I understand correctly, I can just use /live.mp3 and that wouldn't mess things up? Even if I don't have a file named live.mp3?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct, ask yourself, what purpose would that file be for? It's just a reference so that the server knows what to want to refer to.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading some of these post because I want to set up live streaming
I have iceast2, darkice, ice, liveice
Which one is the easiest to set ?

When I run icecast2 with liveice and I access http:/lwww.mydomain.com:8000/status/xsl
and I login and look at my mount points and there is nothing.. blank

what am i missing to set my mount point. what should my mount point be?

---------------------------------
before using a source client or player, verify that the icecast server can be contacted and responds. Thid can be done using a web browser using

http://myipaddress:8000/status.xsl

Most, at this point will start their source client which starts streaming on a certain mountpoint eg, /live or something similar. You'll see this on thr above status.xsl page after the source client connects. The click to listen link is what you can pass to listeners.

karl.
------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> F.A.Q. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: