Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split log onto two another ones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kozlov

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Split log onto two another ones Reply with quote

Good idea I think is to split connection log onto two (or more) files, where first would store information about listeners, buffering, etc., and another about webinterface.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before any changes to logging occur, I think there needs to be some discussion on what people actually want keeping backward computability . One suggestion is to have a logging section in a <mount> setting, so those logs only get mount-specific log entries.

karl.
kozlov

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. Is it implemented in your branch? And is there any problem to log all mounts' events in one file?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no it's not implemented yet, I haven't heard of many opinions on logging possibilities, but we don't want something that can be complicated to configure or code up.

karl.
kozlov

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlH wrote:
(...) we don't want something that can be complicated to configure or code up.

Huh? One entry in mount section which specifies log file and eventually one that specifies if entries are stored in *global* log, too... ? Never mind, if you think that could decrease stability and/or server's efficiency (I'm not an advanced programmer so I don't know if), do as you wish. Even without proposed abilities Icecast will be better than SC. Razz Just tried to give an idea.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually 3 log files, error/access and playlist logs. My suggestion was purely based on setups where an icecast can have many mountpoints each one by a different user. The problem with log per mount is the naming, as mountpoints can have / in them.

It won't be a stability issue but it will use an extra file descriptor per extra log. My main concern is not having many different ways of having the logs split up, while dumping everything into say 1 error log is simple it may also be inconvenient but I may be missing some other way these logs could be split up.

karl.
rongage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Suggestion Reply with quote

First of all, I could REALLY use this feature. I need per-mountpoint logging ability.

How about having a "logfile" and "errorfile" parameter in each mount definition? This eliminates the "naming" issue from being icecast's issue - just like in the apache config files.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the awkward point is for me is when wildcard mounts are defined, I see 2 possibilities, a shared log between those where a log id is shared or a separate log is allocated but then you have to deal with a unique name which could be mountpoint based but the / would have to be handled. As an example the / could be mapped to _ so /DJ/name.ogg becomes <logdir>/DJ_name.ogg.log

karl.
rongage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Wildcard mountpoints Reply with quote

Forgive me for this suggestion, but it could help the discussion here.

How about a simple macro-replacement setup for defining the logfile name. Something like the following:
%m == mountpoint name
%p == TCP port number
%i == IP Address of listener
%u == authenticated user
and so on...

This would allow you to define a logfile as such:
logfile = %m/access.log

Shouldn't be that hard to implement, would create a log per mountpoint, should support auto-creating directories and files as needed, and so on. I would think this will solve the problem at hand.

Just an idea...
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having a variety of expandable parameters is fine but your %m would still have the problem I mentioned and I suspect we'd want something basic first to make sure things are ok. To make it easier initially, we'll avoid a reload changing the active log. Let me get kh2 out of the way and then I'll look at the logging lines as an id will need to be passed.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: