Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Only "Stream Title" is sent as metadata to Players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Only "Stream Title" is sent as metadata to Players Reply with quote

I've just made a program to update Icecast's metadata.
Actually "Current Song" with the following command from the Icecast Help File:
Code:
http://192.168.1.10:8000/admin/metadata?mount=/mystream&mode=updinfo&song=ACDC+Back+In+Black

Afterwards I realised that WMPlayer and winamp only read as metadata the infos from "Stream Title"...

1. How can I configure Icecast to send "Current Song" as metadata to the players?

2. Are there any commands to update more metadata, like "Stream Title", "Stream Genre", etc...?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no clear specification about the metadata format that is used for inserts. Those stream fields you mentioned are sent as part of the http style header block so are not capable of being updated midstream. Only the song or Stream Title is commonly used for the shoutcast style metadata .

karl
WAB

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

So practically I can only update song and stream(which command???) title?

And to the most crucial, how can I get Icecast to send song title as the "displaying" metadata to the common players. More specific, how can I send "Current Song" instead of "Stream Title" (or can I just update somehow "Stream Title"?)
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have already specified what url is required to update the StreamTitle. The StreamTitle is the current song which is not to be confused with Stream Name and Genre which are http style details.

Because shoutcast style metadata breaks codec content, the player has to request that the metadata to be inserted so that it can filter it out before passing the data for decoding. Icecast does not force it on, but the likes of winamp do request it as the setting is enabled by default.

No branch will use another approach as it will cause playback problems.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: