Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Directory listings
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Directory listings Reply with quote

If anyone has trouble with listing on dir.xiph.org then you can report your stream here. Don't forget localhost is not a valid hostname (any valid IP or DNS name will suffice) and we do check that the stream is accessible so any firewalls should allow access.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I'm currently no listed in dir.xiph.org
I'm using icecast-svn (current revision 14934) on archlinux
here's my directory settings:
<directory>
<yp-url-timeout>15</yp-url-timeout>
<yp-url>http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp.php</yp-url>
</directory>
<directory>
<yp-url-timeout>10</yp-url-timeout>
<yp-url>http://openradiodirectory.org/yp.php</yp-url>
</directory>

I'm listed on openradiodirectory.org (but it shows an empty URL, like http:/// and not lists previously played tunes because of lack of 'current song' feature, it says)

I've changed http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp-cgi to http://dir.xiph.org/cgi-bin/yp.php because it's the script listed in the cgi-bin directory but I've tried both

here is the base URL of my stream: http://no-tcp.no-ip.org:20800/

[EDIT]
OK, in fact I'm listed in dir.xiph.org, it's just that a research on the keyword 'ianux' (which is the name of my stream: 'radio ianux') return nothing, but a research like 'starz' (which is part of my stream description: 'video killed the radio starz') point to a result...
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked, you are listed, but it does look like you had a change of IP address.

I cannot comment on the opendirectory setup, I'm guessing they don't handle the missing URL reference (used to refer people to your web site) completely.

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's fine now, thank you.
robertut

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

1. There are problems with unicode chars. In my case ő in the station name/description is shown as Å - wrongly. (It should be MR2-Petőfi instead of MR2-PetÅfi)
2. If I search for 'magyar rádió', I can see that not all my mounts are listed. (stream001.radio.hu:8080)
3. I also get the impression that the description, current song and displayed mounts are messed up. For example MR3-Bartók (aac+) never had 228 listeners, and never plays Amber Smith - Introspective, it's a classical music station LOL.

Any thougts?

A suggestion: wouldn't it be nice to show one entry per server, rather than one entry per mount? And list mounts as sub-items, like this directory does. It would show better Icecast capabilities, additionally display total server listeners, etc

Hm?
balbinus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grouping is done on the following tuple: (stream name, media type, bitrate). So, if your n streams go by the same name, have the same media type (MP3, AAC+, etc) and the same bitrate, they will get grouped together, with "unpredictable" results.

This behavior isn't going to change at the moment, since there is no reason for two streams with the same name to have different content.

The solution is pretty simple: name your classical stream "Magyar Radio Classical", your jazz stream "Magyar Radio Jazz", or whatever you see fit.

And, no, we won't group per server, since it has absolutely no meaning for the end-user on a server where there are multiple, unrelated, radio stations.
robertut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest, the real-world situation is different nowdays. Each radio station runs its own server instance, and on the different mountpoints it either offers the same content under different bitrates, or different content, like on-demand, or additional programmes.

We are one big radio station offering several programmes in several formats, which happen to be at the same bitrate.
balbinus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, we do *not* want to group together two different streams. We're not thinking from a broadcaster's point of view, but from a user's point of view.

Speaking of real-world situations, Yacast, the streaming solution provider of most French nation-wide FM radio stations has setup Icecast servers. Although I don't know the exact internals, I'm pretty sure there will be two or more totally different (and possibly competing) radio stations on a given server. We *can not* group them together, it makes absolutely no sense for anyone.

However, we are working on a different grouping scheme, so stay tuned!

(PS: and no, not every web broadcaster has access to its own Icecast servers.)
robertut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear that you are working on it.
No need for special grouping, it was just a suggestion. But you should consider the "unpredictable" results which happpen if n streams go by the same name, have the same media type (MP3, AAC+, etc) and the same bitrate - but their description and mount name is different.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My 2 streams are not listen in dir.xiph.org.

http://live.ham-radio-op.net:8000/
(you can listen on them live on the webpage)

My icecast server relays 2 local shoutcast streams. I've been running more than 24h and my shoutcast streams are actually listed on www.shoutcast.com.

Thank you
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are trying to list with us then your error log should be giving the reason why. You have set your <hostname> in the xml to be localhost and not the address you have specified in your posting. Change it and restart icecast

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Thanks!
yourlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: listing search issues Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the place to address this, but here goes..

I have 2 streams named the same, playing the same content, 1 in mp3 and 1 in OGG Vorbis..

They are named Delusional Mind.

Both are listed if you search for "delusional mind", but if you search for the genre tags, rock or metal, they do not show up in the results. Also, if you search by format, they will not show up. At least I have yet to get them to. It appears the only way for them to show up in the listing is to directly search for them by name..

Any ideas?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see both streams listed under the metal genre, the rock and vorbis listings go over several pages which I haven't checked for but are you sure they are not on there?

karl.
yourlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm.. i see them now under metal, but i had to search 3 times to get them to show up.. i see 2 pages of results, and they were not listed for the first 2 searches, then on the 3rd search they both showed up on the 1st page.

The rock and vorbis/mp3 searches seem to cut off at 5 pages of results, so they could be further down the results, but I just can't get that far in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: