Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VLC Videostreaming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: VLC Videostreaming Reply with quote

Hi,
i have just downloaded the brand new version of VLC.

I tried to stream video to my local icecast server but it doesn't work. This is how i configured it:

VLC -> Streaming
There i selected a movie file and clicked "Stream". On the next window "Streamoutput" I selected "IceCast" and entered the hostname, mount point, port and password. When I click "Stream" nothing happens.

The Message-Window says:

Code:
main debug: dying input
access_output_shout warning: failed to connect using 'icy' (shoutcast) protocol
access_output_shout warning: failed to connect using 'http' (icecast 2.x) protocol
access_output_shout warning: unable to establish connection, retrying...
main debug: dying input

The "dying output" repeats a lot.

This is my Output-String:

Code:
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=801,scale=1,acodec=vorb,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=shout,mux=ogg,dst=hackme@localhost:8000/theora.ogg}} :sout-all :sout-keep

I have also tried "dst=admin:hackme" and without the mountpoint also different codecs. The error stays the same. IceCast2 is up and running local.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you forget to say what icecast reports in the logs.

karl.
tdo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecast reports nothing. The only thing that is logged is the following:

Code:
[2008-09-28  15:28:46] INFO main/main.c Icecast 2.3.2 server started
[2008-09-28  15:28:46] INFO yp/yp.c YP update thread started
[2008-09-28  15:28:46] INFO connection/connection.c No SSL capability

But this is logged when the server starts. It seems that there is no connection between vlc and icecast. I have tried to shutdown my firewall but no changes.

I'm using Windows XP for local testing. I have also tried it on a server with linux debian but it's the same. So, i tried it local but it's the same problem.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you are not getting any details of a new connection coming in (especially at level 4) or mentioned in the access log then the issue is either in vlc or in the connection between vlc and icecast.

karl.
gp1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: VLC to Icecast streaming Reply with quote

I just got my first working setup to stream Theora video from VLC on Mac OSX with isight webcam to a remote Icecast server on Debian. The command line that I am using is:

/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC qtcapture:// --sout='#duplicate{dst=display,dst="transcode{vcodec=theo,vb=256,acodec=vorb,ab=64,vfilter=canvas{width=320,height=240,canvas-aspect=4:3}}:standard{mux=ogg,dst=source:MYPASSWORD@85.10.225.97:8000/stream.ogg,access=shout}"}'

Seems to work, I am experimenting with the various VLC cache settings to make it better. Problems:
I think the microphone audio is not captured
The aspect ratio is wrong - the result is wider than it should

I must say that I always avoided VLC so far because the user interface is byzantine and most documentation missing or incorrect - but now I spent a few hours experimenting because this (VLC+Icecast) seems the most practical solution to stream Theora video, which will have a big impact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Video Streaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: