Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

music streaming questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erols

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: music streaming questions Reply with quote

Hello,

My name is Erol Simsir, I'm from The Netherlands. I want to set up a music stream service. What I want to know is how the Icecast software works. What kind of thinks can I exactly do with it? If I have a server, should I install the downloads from your site on the server? And after that, what happens if I want to install the music on the server. How can I install the music in Icecast to make sure that it'll stream it? And another thing I would like to know is, what kind of software do I need to let people download music from the servers? Should I install another server software to let this do, or is it already done when I've installed Icacast on the server(s)? And I want to make a nice flash window, you know, with the play and pause button. If I want this, and I made it, can I install this in the server to? I know I have to program it in the website and I have to install it in the server, but how is that going to work together with Icecast?

Kind regards,

Erol Simsir
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: music streaming questions Reply with quote

erols wrote:
Hello,

Hi,

Quote:
I want to set up a music stream service. What I want to know is how the Icecast software works. What kind of thinks can I exactly do with it?

Icecast is a stream server. It allows multiple listeners to connect to your streaming service. However, you need a source client to feed your icecast with sound or video.

Quote:
If I have a server, should I install the downloads from your site on the server?

To know for sure, we need more info about your server. If you're running a windows server, this site binaries is what you need. If you're running Linux, FreeBSD or Solaris (or other Unix variants), you might have prepackaged icecast for your system (icecast is in standard Linux distributions Fedora, Opensuse, Debian...) Just look at your package manager in this case. For MacOS, a binary also exists.

For all other cases, use source tarball here, install all needed development packages for your system and build binary from sources.

Quote:
And after that, what happens if I want to install the music on the server. How can I install the music in Icecast to make sure that it'll stream it?

Icecast acts like all other streaming servers, If you want providing playlist stream, depending on your server operating system, a source client, such as ices2 (for Linux/other Unix flavors) is what you'll need.

Quote:
And another thing I would like to know is, what kind of software do I need to let people download music from the servers? Should I install another server software to let this do, or is it already done when I've installed Icacast on the server(s)?

Clearly, a streaming server is not a download server. For download, you need other pieces of software, such as a web server with a download module (look at ampache, Joomla with one of the multiple download extensions, Drupal, Wordpress, and many more).

Quote:
And I want to make a nice flash window, you know, with the play and pause button. If I want this, and I made it, can I install this in the server to? I know I have to program it in the website and I have to install it in the server, but how is that going to work together with Icecast?

Clearly, what you need is one of the streaming flash applets. There are many available, such as DewPlayer, ffmp3 and so on.
erols

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I have a workstation with Windows XP. That's all I can say about my server.

But is Icecast made for professional work, or just for people who want to set up a small network in their house? I wanna do serious business with it, so I really need some more information about what Icecast can give me. Can it handle for example 3000 online users? I know, I need a strong system to let so many people come on the site, but can Icecast handle it when my system is strong enough?

You said source client, but what is that exactly. What I want is to install Icecast (or something else like it) and then put music in the same server, and then bring the website online, and then I want that everything works like I want.

The site is going to be a music stream service. People can listen to music as long as they want to, so when they select a song it has to start. I also want to make a download function, but that's something else I think.

I hope everyone understands a little bit what I need.

Kind regards,

Erol Simsir
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erols wrote:
I have a workstation with Windows XP. That's all I can say about my server.

But is Icecast made for professional work, or just for people who want to set up a small network in their house? I wanna do serious business with it, so I really need some more information about what Icecast can give me. Can it handle for example 3000 online users? I know, I need a strong system to let so many people come on the site, but can Icecast handle it when my system is strong enough?

Welle, a workstation with windows XP may help evaluating Icecast. For strong uses, I host for one of my customers an icecast cluster with often 12000+ listenres, with a high end quality (Ogg/vorbis 300k stream).

Quote:
You said source client, but what is that exactly. What I want is to install Icecast (or something else like it) and then put music in the same server, and then bring the website online, and then I want that everything works like I want.

The site is going to be a music stream service. People can listen to music as long as they want to, so when they select a song it has to start. I also want to make a download function, but that's something else I think.

From your info, you need more on demand services than pure webradio streaming. So I suggest coupling icecast with ie ampache to give this on demand service. Ampache being in this case, emiting (source) client.
IglooJordan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all,

I found this thread through a forum search and thought I would comment. I was actually able to create a decent radio stream to be used by a couple local businesses, but as far as a large scale streaming service I would not want to take that on. I have looked in to getting a smtp server to make things a bit easier, but was hoping from a little feedback from my peers first. Is there any issue streaming sound from video I downloaded using a video converter? Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by IglooJordan on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
jcr
Modérateur français
Modérateur français

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IglooJordan wrote:
hey all,

I found this thread through a forum search and thought i would comment. I was actually able to create a decent radio stream to be used by a couple local businesses, but as far as a large scale streaming service I would not want to take that on.

Well for a decent for a medium to large scale audience, you'll need pretty specialized hosting, which is the only way to have a comfortable bandwidth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: