Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

writing a source client

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohadib

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: writing a source client Reply with quote

I was wondering if writing a source client, without libshout, is as simple as creating a http request , and then sending the mp3/ogg data? I'm on windows and cant get the libshout-java bindings to work.

Thanks,
jason
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it is. The method is not standard http for a source client, it's just SOURCE /stream .. authorization header and anything else followed by the stream. The main thing libshout does is provide a wrapper between shout/icecast connections, metadata updates and it can throttle the stream being sent so that it's sent in real time. Nothing is stopping you from doing that yourself and the protocol is not that difficult.

karl.
mohadib

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, do you know of any documentation on the protocol?Also, will I need to throttle the stream? If I dont, will icecast reject any data, or play the song out of time?

Thanks Again,
Jason
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think http style, but icecast only really needs is the SOURCE request and the content-type, other header can be passed though. Icecast will not throttle the connection for you, after all you may be sending data it does not know how to parse.

karl.
mohadib

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks, i got my app working mostly now. Im curious, If i have a variable bit rate mp3, how will i know how much data to send for a given span of time? Thank You!
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

generally you find out what the samplerate is and then based on the samples seen so far, match against the current clock time. Obviously that will be codec dependent.

karl.
mohadib

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you. So I got the stream timing down pretty good now. Im curious about the number i see in the log:

[2010-03-21 21:49:47] DBUG stats/modify_node_event update node total_bytes_read (1165374000)
[2010-03-21 21:49:47] DBUG stats/modify_node_event update node total_bytes_sent (1165392499)

It seems more data has been read from the server than my stream client has sent. Can you shed any light on those numbers and what to make of them?

Thanks,
Jason
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is probably because your listener has asked for metadata updates to be inserted. Or maybe you have requested the status page a number of times.

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: