Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Client downloads entire clip before playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Client downloads entire clip before playing Reply with quote

Hi,

First off, I'm a newbie as far as streaming goes - this might be a FAQ but I can't find anything similar searching the archives.

I am trying to set up icecast on a SuSE 9.3 (Linux) server. Got the latest source last week (2.2.0) and successfully built & installed (with ogg / vorbis etc. as suggested by ./configure). Simple icecast.xml config based on the template - just changed the passwords, hostname and paths. At this stage I'm just trying to stream existing mp3 / ogg files, so no ices or other source client (yet).

Connecting via a simple web page (also in development) - openLDAP & php behind it, but browser sees links as e.g. http :// server : 8000 / file.mp3 (broken by me as some forums don't like links!)
Clicking on the link always results in downloading the whole file before playing it - Linux and MS-Win clients, both with Firefox browser & RealPlayer10 plus xmms / winamp. These clients see to work OK otherwise, such as when accessing other people's content, so I assume I am doing something wrong at my server. I'd welcome any pointers!

Thanks,
Richard (MQ)
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont give the client an .mp3 url .. the client browser will just try to download it.

if you want the client to stream, then use php to make a .m3u or .pls metafile (with the mp3 urls inside).. this metafile will be passed on to the client's media player, which will know to stream the file (instead of downloading)

the .m3u and .pls metafile specs can be found thru a bit of googling

did that answer your question?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Client downloads entire clip before playing Reply with quote

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the tip, it sounds very likely that it is what I need. Time for some googling I think, then I'll stretch my php scripting even further...

I'd wondered what m3u files were for!

Many thanks
Richard.
EvilOverlord
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to make them, icecast will generate m3u files automatically.

If your mount is /live.mp3 simply pass http://server:port/live.mp3.m3u to the user and icecast will do the rest. (though make sure you have the right external hostname/IP address defined in the <hostname> directive!)
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Client downloads entire clip before playing Reply with quote

Thanks EvilOverlord - your suggestion works perfectly and seems to solve my problem completely. I'm sure it's in the documentation somewhere, but that seems mostly aimed at experienced users rather than novices like me. Many thanks both of you!

Richard.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool ! i also found this great article buried in my bookmarks

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Icecast Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: