Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash player using icecast and .flv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stream

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Flash player using icecast and .flv Reply with quote

All:

I'm not very familiar with flash, and I'm trying to figure out if what I am seeing is normal or a problem with my implementation.

Our icecast server (KH-30) is serving an AACP stream. I have JWPlayer ( v5.8 ) embedded and it's playing back the stream. I've called the file parameter in the player setup using two different methods - File="ip:port/mount.aac?type=.flv" and File="ip:port/mount.flv" Both produce the same results. In the second case I have an alias configured that points mount.flv to mount.aac.

When I observe my physical memory usage in Windows task manager I can see it is slowly being consumed while the stream is playing. I have observed the same memory consumption when I load flash players on other streaming sites that are streaming from icecast directly to flash. So, my question - is this the expected behavior, or should the physical memory remain fairly constant if the player is configured properly?

I know RTMP is a totally different animal, and when I observe the memory usage for a player playing an RTMP stream the memory usage remains constant.

Thanks in advance for any input!
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that your OS is actually using your RAM for something is not an indication of a problem or a leak. The typical issue with flash is that, if you send a normal mp3/aac stream to it then it will keep it around so the application usage of memory increases steadily. With flv wrapping, the memory usage by the application does not increase (or at least has not up to present).

You seem to have the correct url for the streaming so I would check to see if particular apps are growing. Note as well that if you use that link on a 2.3.2 icecast then you will get a non-flv stream and will leak memory.

karl.
stream

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Karl for the quick reply!

I'm using IE 8, and if I watch its memory usage, it does grow over a period of time.

I'm not sure I completely understand the FLV wrapping - is the player downloading the stream as a file, and if so is it saving that file to memory? I have disabled the time slider controls on my player implementation, but if I left them enabled and I clicked at the left side of the slider, the audio would go back. This seems strange if the data is to be discarded as it is played.

I'm running the KH-30 version so I know FLV wrapping should be being used, but I don't think that is what is happening. Is there another way to check that FLV wrapping is occuring other than wathcing memory usage?

Thanks!
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can increase the log level on icecast (if not already high enough) and see if the FLV is getting set for that listener. Based on your description so far, I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Obviously the flash app itself could be leaking memory or messing around with the stream. I know jwplayer and whoosh are reported to be working, others could work but I don't have a definitive list.

karl.
stream

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll increase the log level and take a look.

What should I look for in the logs to indcate that FLV has been set?

Thanks!
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"listener has requested FLV" shows at level 4. My latest test builds (currently kh30.22) shows the supplied args in the access log. Don't forget to try another browser and check the flash version as well.

karl.
stream

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I finally got to the bottom of this. At level 4 the log does show "listener has requested FLV."

After testing with numerous browsers, several players, and numerous variables, it appears the problem was with the burst size of the mount points I was testing against. After increasing the burst size to a value at least twice the default, the memory "usage" remains constant. This appears to hold true for all players, browsers, etc that I tested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Listener Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: