Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.3.3-KH vs 2.4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iunderwood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: 2.3.3-KH vs 2.4? Reply with quote

I know I've been living under a rock for the last couple years ... but I have emerged to find both the KH branch of IceCast 2.3.3, and the beta of IceCast from Xiph which is 2.4.

What are the differences? Is 2.4 just based off the KH releases?
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the differences are internal, but there are a few external aspects people prefer. The main notable one for many people is the FLV wrapping for mp3/aac streams when requested by a listener, this is primarily for flash playback without memory leaking in the browser/flash. This is unlikely to be in the main release as it requires frame detection and alignment for those streams.

Other changes exist that influence performance like using workers instead of the one thread per stream model which affects loading like the case of lots of streams on a few cores or 1 stream on several cores. multiple auth requests occurring at the same time also helps in the larger scale cases.

a few other areas are extended for some, auth can redirect listeners to other URLs or mountpoints from those requested, wildcards (ie * ? []) can be used on mount-name and more recent (in github) you can use ${mount} to expand the requested mount for a few of the options like fallback-mount, intro etc

karl.
iunderwood

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

I wanted to ask because I am a touch concerned about fragmentation between the projects as time goes on. Since it looks like Xiph has been steaming ahead with 2.4, is there going to be a sync-up with the KH series of releases once the next major Xiph version goes live?

I generally would prefer to stay with KH since it seems to be much more actively maintained, though there have been a few features in 2.4 that I am interested in.
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do try to keep the feature set in sync, it may be that I haven't expanded on that enough in the summary, as I only get to the docs part when time and stability allows. Are you thinking of anything in 2.4 that I've missed. Any particular feature are you thinking of?

karl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Dev Branches All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: