Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there such a thing as a web based source client?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonapeptide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Is there such a thing as a web based source client? Reply with quote

In my perfect dreamland: A PC that is capturing source audio, such as a live event, browses to a web page. On that web page is a button that says "Encode!" That button is pressed and the web application captures audio on the source client, encodes it, and sends it to the streaming infrastructure to be consumed by adoring fans. Does such a thing exist?

Meanwhile, in the real world: The trouble I'm having is that currently one of my clients, a provider of streaming infrastructure for live events, has a couple hundred clients. They/I attempt to support those couple hundred clients by scoping the venue's source audio PCs to only be Windows and only use Edcast with a pre-packaged set of configurations that we distribute. However, it's still cumbersome and the ability to turn it into a web app that we control would be ace.

To flesh out my perfect dream land, I'd have clients that have unique usernames and passwords. Each client would have their settings saved concerning metadata in the stream, bitrate, destination server information including mount point, etc. Then they simply have to log in, press "Encode!" and be done with it. The one part of the puzzle that I'm having trouble researching is any library or project that captures audio from willing source PCs, encodes it, and then sends it on. A library, a wrapper... anything to get me off in the right direction.

Is anyone aware of such a project? I couldn't find any, but admit I could be lame at Google. If not, does anyone have any specific insight to share about how they'd envision it being done?
Sankt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icecast cannot be configured to do this.

The easiest route would probably be to set up a third party application, probably on a dedicated unix box. Pull audio from the remote host - encode on the server - source to icecast host.

I believe ffmpeg and mencoder can encode and source audio and video to remote icecast servers.
konsolenritter

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "dreamland solution"
Laughing have to be rendered on the client side, anyway. Because the original pcm wave stream from soundcard(?) is there.

So if you wish a web environment it's the servers role to enroll and deliver only the parts that should/have to run in each client's browser.

AFAIK there is no solution in javascript, but encoding in Java or other web capable prog language should serve for your quest.

Google for something like this as a starting point:
http://www.google.com/search?q=java+mp3+encoding+icecast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Source Clients All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: