Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index Icecast Streaming Media Server
Icecast is a Xiph Foundation Project

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[PATCH] Multiple master servers for Icecast relay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: [PATCH] Multiple master servers for Icecast relay Reply with quote

At any time during the day there are 4 or 5 PCs or IP radios tuned to a common MP3 internet stream. In order to alleviate the traffic on my internet broadband link, I use an Icecast relay on my local network. It retrieves a single Shoutcast stream from the Internet and all the local clients get their streams from it.

Icecast has worked very well in that capacity but has always suffered from a minor shortcoming. Many popular Shoutcast stations provide the same stream through multiple servers. Unfortunately, Icecast 2.3.1 only allows the specification of a single master server for each relay section. So if that master server refuses the connection there is no way to tell Icecast to try an alternate. I've coded a patch to the Icecast 2.3.1 source that allows the specification of multiple master servers. For each relay, Icecast will try each of the multiple servers that can now be specified till a connection is achieved.

The relay section in the icecast.xml file now looks like this:

Code:
  <relay>
    <servers>
      <server>
        <ip>64.236.34.196</ip>
        <port>80</port>
      </server>
      <server>
        <ip>64.236.34.4</ip>
        <port>80</port>
      </server>
    </servers>
    <mount>/stream/1048</mount>
    <local-mount>/stream.mp3</local-mount>
    <on-demand>0</on-demand>
    <relay-shoutcast-metadata>1</relay-shoutcast-metadata>
  </relay>

If anybody's interested and in the spirit of open source development I've made the patch available as a contribution to the community. It can be downloaded at http://www.dillobits.com/icecast-2.3.1-patch.txt .

Regards
karlH
Code Warrior
Code Warrior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be worth looking into, feel free to post this up on trac.xiph.org

karl.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Icecast Streaming Media Server Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: